The MMA Thread

I am, though I'm not interested in the who said what about whatever stuff - I only pay attention to what happens in the ring or octagon.

I kinda enjoy the drama around the fights as well but can tell the difference between the hype trains and the legit contenders. It’s the closest we get to best vs best compared to the farce that is boxing.

I kinda enjoy the drama around the fights as well but can tell the difference between the hype trains and the legit contenders. It’s the closest we get to best vs best compared to the farce that is boxing.

My brothers are like that, they need a narrative to enjoy the sport - guys to hate on, guys to cheer for. I just like watching people fight.

It's been a good few weeks for MMA, great Contender Series this week, past UFC was very interesting and last weekend's Fight Night was also great. Look forward to the Grasso / Shevchenko rematch.

Guess there’s more of us which is probably why they build it up that way.

Thoughts on our boy DDP?

I'm not a fan of his style, I find the other SA newcomer to UFC, Cameron Saaiman, a more enjoyable fighter to watch. I'm glad to see Dricus has realised running forward throwing 1,2 after 1,2 is not the best idea though.

Ironically, his awkward technique is one of his biggest assets (alongside his strength). The problem with that for me is you generally find once one person gets a handle on it, everyone else does as well.

On the point of best vs best, to me that's not the right way to think about it. You take three fighters - the first fighter will consistently beat the second, but the third will consistently lose to the second and beat the first. You can't then say any of those three fighters are best - good matchups make for good fights and anything can happen on a given night. The enjoyment for me is seeing how things play out.

Last edited:
Agreed styles make fights but also you don’t get the padded records that boxers have with MMA. Generally the cream rises to the top and the challenge is to keep that belt until you’re figured out or get out before like the privileged few.

On DDP I just get behind him because he’s our fighter. I don’t think he’s good enough based on what I’ve seen of him so I agree with you on that but again his style vs Izzy would’ve probably got the same result over the weekend but I don’t see him as a long time champ (hope I’m wrong).

Agreed styles make fights but also you don’t get the padded records that boxers have with MMA. Generally the cream rises to the top and the challenge is to keep that belt until you’re figured out or get out before like the privileged few.

Boxing is one combat sport I don't watch, so I'm not really familiar with how it works. I would assume it's because of all those different organisations that you have that sort of thing going on? With MMA it's really just UFC and then everybody else (most of whom actively embrace their roles as proving grounds).

Boxing is one combat sport I don't watch, so I'm not really familiar with how it works. I would assume it's because of all those different organisations that you have that sort of thing going on? With MMA it's really just UFC and then everybody else (most of whom actively embrace their roles as proving grounds).

Something like that. It’s the everybody’s a world champion or has some sort of belt then they spend their careers avoiding each other at their peaks and cherry picking opponents to keep their records intact.

On DDP I just get behind him because he’s our fighter. I don’t think he’s good enough based on what I’ve seen of him so I agree with you on that but again his style vs Izzy would’ve probably got the same result over the weekend but I don’t see him as a long time champ (hope I’m wrong).

That is a fight I would have liked to see. I would lean towards Izzy in that matchup, but the strength is the wildcard. As for his recent defeat, I told my wife on the day I could see Strickland walking him down all fight long with that modified Philly shell of his, in a "what if he won" scenario - was really happy to see him pull it off.

Something like that. It’s the everybody’s a world champion or has some sort of belt then they spend their careers avoiding each other at their peaks and cherry picking opponents to keep their records intact.

I feel it's like that in MMA as well, it's just that the UFC then sits on top of all those other promotions.

I feel like he’s overhyped and the Gilbert fight exposed him. I got a feeling that Costa and his secret juice will get the better of him.

Yeah was a really good fight. Really enjoyed it.

Fiziev vs Gamrot this weekend should be a belter as well!

I'm busy watching last night's BFL - saw something I don't think I've seen before in modern MMA. In Briones v Zanganeh, Briones had him in a buggy choke and Zanganeh got out of it by spiking him on his head two or three times.

Took me by surprise because I would have said that was illegal, but apparently if in the escape of a submission it's allowed? Hmm, I don't know if anyone foresaw it being executed quite like that - I would imagine if we start to see it more often that rule might be reconsidered.

I always wondered the same especially since the one applying the submission is putting a lot of pressure to get the sub they're often exposed elsewhere. Just figured the hold was so dangerous that all they could do was fight hands. Doubt its applicable in the UFC though. I'm pumped for tomorrow's fights. Everybody's made weight so it's all about hydrating and making the walk.

Wow! Islam delivered on his promise. I picked Volk to get the job done and didn’t see Islam coming out especially if the fight went into the championship rounds. How wrong was I!

That head kick is becoming a massive problem now. Leon, Gaetjie and now Islam getting huge victories with it.

Khamzat looked human again when he faced a top opponent which makes me believe a proper middleweight will give him a hard time.

Also how crazy was all the doctors shenanigans?

Back
Top Bottom